How Social Distancing Can Improve Emotional Intimacy
Last month, I went on my first socially distant date. Staying six feet apart, we sat on a quiet bench for a while and just chatted. It was really nice! While we had been dating for almost five months, it […] The post How Social Distancing Can Improve Emotional Intimacy appeared first on Sex, Etc..
Last month, I went on my first socially distant date. Staying six feet apart, we sat on a quiet bench for a while and just chatted. It was really nice! While we had been dating for almost five months, it was on this date that I realized we still had a lot more to get to know about each other.
Since then, things have gotten more strict, and we realized that seeing each other, even six feet apart, was a luxury. Stay-at-home orders in New Jersey shut down our local parks and reservations, and discouraged leaving our houses for any nonessential activities. So, we had to get a little more creative with the ways we could connect with and keep getting to know each other.
Socially Distant Date Ideas
Transitioning to virtual dating can be tough, but it can also be a great opportunity to connect with your significant other in ways you might not have before. Here are some of the ways my boyfriend and I have connected:
1) Virtual dinner dates. You can still dress up, eat some food and video chat with each other anytime!
2) Work out together. Staying active during this time at home is important, and exercising with someone else over video chat can keep you motivated.
3) Start a new TV show together. It’s fun to have something to look forward to, and watching an episode every night, or whenever you’re both free, is a fun thing to share with your significant other.
4) Send each other letters or care packages. This is a great way to stay connected and another way to show you care and make your partner feel special!
5) Have a movie date. You can watch the same movie at the same time and chat during it (or after, if you’re totally engaged in the story).
6) Check in with each other. This can be a stressful time, and checking in and asking how your significant other is doing is another great way to show you’re thinking of them.
Looking on the Bright Side
This time apart can be hard. But in terms of silver linings, when physical intimacy is taken away, it can offer a great chance to deepen emotional intimacy.
In the ways listed above and others, couples can use the space between them to bring them closer together. So, don’t be discouraged! Distance can make the heart grow fonder!
The post How Social Distancing Can Improve Emotional Intimacy appeared first on Sex, Etc..